Today’s Verse: Acts 17:27 Wednesday September 20, 2023[Paul spoke to the educated people of Athens and explained,] “God [made all people from one man] so that men would seek him and perhaps reach out for him and find him, though he is not far from each one of us.”
— Acts 17:27
Thoughts on Today’s Verse…
Our seeking God longs to be sought! God placed his fingerprints all over the universe and gave us places to find life and pursue meaning in that life. He had a purpose for this plan: God wanted us to seek him, the One behind it all. While God is never far away from us, he longs to be sought and found by us. When each of us seeks after God, we not only bless him but also live out one of our life’s essential purposes!
Devotional Reflection: Acts 17:27 is a powerful verse that reminds us of God’s nearness and His desire for a relationship with every person. In this passage, the Apostle Paul is addressing the people of Athens, explaining the nature of the one true God they had an altar to but did not know personally.
Key points to reflect upon:
- Seeking God: This verse encourages us to seek God actively. It implies that the search for God is not in vain but rather a path toward discovering Him. Seeking God involves a sincere quest to know Him, understand His character, and live in His will.
- Feeling Their Way Toward Him: Sometimes, our journey toward God may involve uncertainty or periods of searching. God understands our human limitations and encourages us to draw near, even if it feels like we are “feeling our way” in the dark.
- Finding God: The promise in this verse is that when we seek God with an open heart, we will find Him. God is not distant or unreachable; He desires to reveal Himself to those who genuinely seek Him.
- God’s Nearness: The verse emphasizes that God is not far from any of us. His presence is not confined to a distant location or restricted to certain people. He is close and accessible to every individual.
As you meditate on Acts 17:27, consider the following:
- Are you actively seeking God in your life?
- Have you ever felt like you were “feeling your way” toward God? How did that journey unfold?
- How does the nearness of God impact your faith and relationship with Him?
This verse reminds us of the universal invitation to seek and find God, no matter where we are in our spiritual journey. It reassures us of His nearness and willingness to reveal Himself to those who earnestly seek Him.